Mary: Servant of the Lord
Topic: Sunday Morning Teaching Passage: Luke 1:26–38
What does the Bible tell us about Mary? Join us this Sunday at CrossWinds Church in Spirit Lake as we consider the faithfulness of Mary in Luke 1.
Sermon Discussion Questions
- What is one highlight from the sermon and one question that you had after hearing the sermon?
- Read Luke 1:3–4. What is Luke’s purpose in writing his gospel? How does he accomplish that in the story of Mary?
- Read Luke 1:26–30; cf. John 1:46; 1 Corinthians 1:26–29; Joshua 24:2–3; Exodus 4:10–12. What are some ways that Mary is an “unlikely choice” to play a role in God’s plan of salvation? What other examples of an “unlikely choice” can you think of? How is this an encouragement to you?
- Read Luke 1:31–33. The angel Gabriel tells us a great deal about who Jesus is and what he will be like. What sticks out to you from this list?
- Read Genesis 3:15; 12:1; 2 Samuel 7:9. In what way or ways is Jesus the fulfillment of the whole Old Testament? How does this remind us about the importance of Christmas?
- Read Luke 1:38. What is Mary’s response to the pronouncement of Gabriel?
- In what ways is Mary an example of great faith? What are some similarities between the faith of Mary (Luke 1:38) and the faith of Abraham (cf. Romans 4:20–25)?
- This Time Tomorrow: How can the story of Mary’s faith and obedience encourage you to be a person of faith and obedience? Mary’s story is really all about Jesus—how can you make your life all about Jesus?
More in One On One With Christmas
December 24, 2021Luke 2:1-7 - What Does Jesus Birth Teach Us About God's Love?
December 12, 2021Luke 2:8-20 | The Shepherds
December 5, 2021Matthew 2:1-12 | The Magi